Monday, November 2, 2009
music recommendation 11/2 (explicit)

As you may have noticed (who am I kidding, I'm the only person who reads this) from the past couple of posts, I'm pretty into hip-hop. I think it's rather tragic that kids these days could not readily tell you what the difference is between rap and hip-hop. I also find it tragic that people lump all of rap and hip-hop together and completely and totally dismiss it as a genre, thinking that the Gucci Manes and Soulja Boys of the industry are somehow the poster children for real hip-hop. So in breaking with the musical atmosphere (but in keeping with the music of Atmosphere) of this blog, I'm going to let today's music recommendations tell the truth about hip-hop.

Peace of Mine by Gang Starr
"My sense of self, and my mental health
is much more powerful, than any hint of wealth
A lot of niggaz get cash, and collect Mercedes
But neglect their ladies, and forget their babies"



Conscious Style by Poor Righteous Teachers

"See, I remember yesterday when y'all was Gods and Earths
Egyptians and metaphysicists on the verge of giving birth
To understanding, and planting seeds that grow
Now everybody's on that bullshit about killing and so"







Beef by Mos Def

"Beef ain't the Summer Jam for Hot 97
Beef is the cocaine and AIDS epidemic
Beef don't come with a radio edit
Beef is when the judge is callin' you "defendant""




Expect similar recommendations in the future... for now, I'm going to bed. Stay real.

Labels: ,

Ianthe. posted at 12:44 AM